Saturday, August 4, 2007

songs

Oops, this is Rebecca posting. I saw that Carolyn mentioned the songs we make up, but she didn't elaborate. You can ask us to sing them any time.

I made up a song to teach him numbers: "1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 for Avery." repeat until annoying. Carolyn HATES this one.

We made this up once when he was VERY fussy: " Nobody's hurting you everything's okay, there's no need to cry like a lunatic." over and over.

A song when he is very hungry: "My name is Avery , nob ody feeds me, I want my bottle, I WANT IT NOW!" (this last line is sung in a very loud, deep voice).

A chant when we first brought him home: "Life is hard for a baaaaby Aaaavery" over and over.

To the tune of "Hips Don't Lie" I made this up when he was wearing a onesie that said "Mommy's Little Monster" and he was being cranky. "Oh baby when you cry like that, you make your mamas get mad. So be good, and be calm, don't be a cranky-pants. 'I'm mad tonight you know my shirt don't lie and i'm starting to feel a fight. so let's go, real slow, come on mom this is not perfecto.'" See, it's like a conversation between mom and baby.

Hmmm, I guess we do make up a lot of songs when he is fussy. But we also listen to children's CDs, like Wee sing and nursery rhymes and a lot of classical music. Our song we always sing and listen to is "A Duck in New York City." That singer also has a song called "A Poodle in Paris." I think he likes Sibelius' 2nd symphony and the Tchaikovsky violin concerto. Those are my favorites anyway.

And we sing a lot of church songs to him. We have brought him to 4th U a few times, and he does seem to really enjoy the songs. There are some very slow and beautiful ones that we like to sing as we rock him to sleep.

Oh and yesterday he did the sweetest thing ever. I was holding him and we were listening to Sarah McLauclin (I never know how to spell her last name) sing "The Rainbow Connection" and I was singing it to him, and he just dozed off. It was very cute.

He definitely likes it when we sing together. When he's older, he's going to take violin or cello lessons. Music is great.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

those are awesome songs! you should record a whole album.